www.arcsoft.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need ArcSoft Technical Support? This Users Forum is provided as a free resource for users to exchange ideas and learn how others are utilizing the software but it is NOT a place where you can get ArcSoft technical support. If you have ArcSoft products questions, you can read the general FAQ here or send your question to us through Customer Services.

TotalMedia Theatre Trial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
xma1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xma1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 11:48am
Originally posted by ArcSoft_Jason ArcSoft_Jason wrote:

It's all built in, and pretty straightforward once the dialog appears. First it will ask you to "personalize" your software if you haven't ever done this with an ArcSoft product which is basically just entering your name. Then it will show you a screen that allows you to fill in your payment info and then automatically activate.

Hi Jason

How do we feed back to Arcsoft on the activation process?

You may remember my posts on activation problems (http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=338), it is bizarre that you have to wait for the trial to expire before you can activate it fully.

You can put in "personalize" info which is one half of the activation, but you cannot put in the final part, your activation code, until the intro expires. It does "feel" like the activation process hasn't been given a full "spit & polish" before being put out the door.

Other than that, it's still the best Blu-ray player for me.

Thanks again

Xmale
xma1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xma1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 11:55am

We're trying something different. Whether it turns out to be good or bad for business and how long it lasts (if it's bad :P) remains to be seen. I expect it's here to stay but it's pioneer stage at the moment.

I wouldn't say it's different, Arcsoft just doesn't seem to have jumped on the Greedy Bandwagon! Corel have released their new HD Player and have followed Cyberlink's lead - you can use their players but without HD support.

I'm sure TMT is wiping the floor with them already just for the fact that you can try HD without spending a penny.

I wonder how many refunds Cyberlink and Corel will have in comparison to Arcsoft?

Good job Arcsoft.

ArcSoft_Jason View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 12:25pm
Using Feedback on the web site (or through the link in the software if it exists) should be a fine way to share your concerns about the activation process.

There are pros and cons from a corporate standpoint with allowing trial of HD formats. Time will tell if we can avoid the series of pitfalls that changed Cyberlink's and Corel's policies in this regard.
xma1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xma1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 3:00pm

There are pros and cons from a corporate standpoint with allowing trial of HD formats. Time will tell if we can avoid the series of pitfalls that changed Cyberlink's and Corel's policies in this regard.
Hi Jason

Just out of curiosity, what are the pros and cons? For me it was important to find something that worked. With so many problems with blu-ray discs on other vendors, I would not have put any more money into it to have to go through a labourious refund process.
chillspace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chillspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 4:10pm
It's good that they have a trial to play back HD formats. I have to admit that early trials were definitely dealbreakers for me. In fact, I couldn't even trial this latest version because I had installed it back in January. I purchased based on the feedback I've seen here and in the AVS forums.

It's very nice to see activity to get this right as it has been tedious and vexing at times with the other developers of this kind of software.

Eric
ArcSoft_Jason View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 4:14pm
Some examples:

Pros: Customer goodwill. Wider distribution. Exposure. Reduced returns because you see exactly what you're getting first.
Cons: Piracy. Additional support costs. Backlash from people who will never become customers regardless.
majorwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majorwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 4:36am

With regard to purchasing the software before the end of the trial period and obtain the 30% discount (or whatever is going at the time), a passive (as apposed to invasive) option to buy at any time during the trial period might be the answer.

Edited by majorwest - 31 Mar 2008 at 4:39am
Slothy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:32pm
Sorry to revive an old thread, but my trial has expired (I assume, unable to play back HD DVD content), but I don't get prompted for activation or anything.

Is the only way to get to Activation through this prompt?  It seems silly, especially if this part is flaky.

For reference, I'm on the regular intro trial version that can be downloaded, OS is Vista.

Up until this moment, everything was so great :(
davinleeds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davinleeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:51pm
You may want to uninstall and try to reinstall the trial and see if it prompts you.  Use the update in the player itself while an HD disk is in.  Try the update gui that shows up by the system tray.  There's a few threads  here concerning that issue also
Slothy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by davinleeds davinleeds wrote:

You may want to uninstall and try to reinstall the trial and see if it prompts you.  Use the update in the player itself while an HD disk is in.  Try the update gui that shows up by the system tray.  There's a few threads  here concerning that issue also

Hurray, finally success.  I re-installed several times, never any joy.  Tried cleaning up after the installer, it leaves tons of stuff behind, but still no joy.

As I'm running Vista, I tried running TMT as administrator, made no difference.

Finally read somewhere to delete starttime and endtime keys from the registry.  That finally did the trick, and I was able to activate.

I'm a software developer myself, it's crazy to actually have such bugs in the process which allows your customers to hand over their dosh.

Edited by Slothy - 26 May 2008 at 12:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic