www.arcsoft.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need ArcSoft Technical Support? This Users Forum is provided as a free resource for users to exchange ideas and learn how others are utilizing the software but it is NOT a place where you can get ArcSoft technical support. If you have ArcSoft products questions, you can read the general FAQ here or send your question to us through Customer Services.

VHS to DVD player

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
plee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VHS to DVD player
    Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 9:49am
I have the TotalMedia program with USB Video/Metro Lynx.  I copied a VHS movie to my computer and then tried to burn a DVD.  It came out as a MPEG file.  I can only play it on my computer. What is a a VCD? Is that the format I need to save it in originally to be able to play it on my tv with a dvd player?
thanks in advance
of_the_shire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote of_the_shire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 3:32pm
Hello Plee,
A VCD is a Video CD. VCD's can be played on a DVD player if and only if the DVD player supports a VCD format. In order to play a video in a DVD player it needs to be in a NTSC or PAL format. NTSC for USA and Canada and PAL for Europe and China.

Edited by Squire - 04 Feb 2008 at 8:02pm
plee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 4:18pm
So when i converted the VHS to the computer it automatically saved it as a mpeg file, I had no choice how to save it. Can I now burn it on a DVD as a movie file?
retired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 7:41pm
You need a program that converts mpg movies to DVD. What you have done is only the first step I use ulead for all of my movies and i can take multable file and add them to gether to make a DVD. I am not that fimular with ARC soft ware i even use there picture publisher with the Vupoint scanner. Wink I have created and edited a lot of movies with this program I use ADS DVD express to capture my moves from my camara. There has to be a section in you program to make DVDs
ArcSoft_Jason View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2008 at 11:55am

Writing to DVD requires software capable of creating MPEG-2 and also of writing files into a DVD format that your standalone player is capable of understanding.

VCD is not that. (It's Video-CD which some, but not all standalone players can interpret.)

You likely do not have a version of TotalMedia that supports writing into DVD format.

The Retail version of ShowBiz has the most control over this process.

DVD SlideShow has some limited functionality in this regard, but is more optimized for putting pictures on a DVD.

TotalMedia Extreme has the ability to write DVD but is really focussed more on HD video.

You may want to look into one of these products to do what you're looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic