www.arcsoft.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need ArcSoft Technical Support? This Users Forum is provided as a free resource for users to exchange ideas and learn how others are utilizing the software but it is NOT a place where you can get ArcSoft technical support. If you have ArcSoft products questions, you can read the general FAQ here or send your question to us through Customer Services.

Total Media Extreme: VCD/DVD Authoring Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
casualclick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Media Extreme: VCD/DVD Authoring Questions
    Posted: 12 May 2008 at 6:06am
Hello,

I had searched for several key words to avoid asking rendundant questions but could not find the exact topic that I'm posting on. Apologies if I did miss a legacy post that is similar.

I have received and registered a copy of Total Media Extreme that came bundled with an Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p handheld video recorder. With the settings on the camera, I am currently outputting .MOV files at HD 720p/60fps. I have experimented with TME and it seems that the Create Video and Export function is the only way to specify a different format other than the native file. If that's incorrect, I would love to hear what I should be doing. Smile

So my questions:

1. Assuming I took the native output file from the device, and following the DVD authoring process, will TME actually re-encode the file correctly for playback on a DVD? Does this apply to both DVDs and VCDs? I've burnt a few coasters already so I'm trying to figure out what exactly is the default output if I don't mess with the file. I'm not even trying to merge them yet; I'm just consolidating a number of clips and putting them all on the same disk.

2. What is the procedure to convert this 720p HD file to allow playback on a Standard Definition DVD player? There's too many choices in the Export setting and I am absolutely a digital video newbie. I would like to preserve the wide-screen aspect as well, if possible.

Appreciate your patience with my questions. Thanks!
ArcSoft_Jason View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 6:12pm
We don't have the Aiptek device, and I haven't tested the TME disc burning too much, but it should be reletively similar to ShowBiz which I tested a lot. The base settings pretty much just work. If you select DVD, then everything is done automatically to convert your files to play on a standard DVD standalone player. (or VCD player, or Blu-Ray player, etc.)

Of course, there are best practices that can help with things like getter the aspect ratio you want or something more advanced, but the basic idea of saving the file on disc and playing it in a player is pretty straightforward and typically requires nothing special except walking through the steps in the software.
COULSTOCK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COULSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:04am
See the earlier thread ' Merging with TME' in particular my  bit at the bottom......the HD  .MOV files can be burned direct to a DVD and replayed on any DVD player.....I don't have a HD DVD player so presumably I'm not going to see  HD on my SAMSUNG 40" - but the AIPTEK appears to be a good bit of kit for a tad over £100  ( bought via QVC).  The TME version I received appears to be a tailored version with DVD replay and DVD create options but not all the options if you look at the Product Description on this web site
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 4:23pm
Yeah, they get some sort of "lite" version. I've seen the software, but they did not supply us with hardware which means we can't see anything to do with their device including the files it creates. They say it works, and if it doesn't you can try contacting them directly. (They're officially the first line support anyway even for questions about our software.)

In general, what I said above should apply. Take a random video file, choose to create a DVD, write disc, pop it in a set-top player and it plays fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 9:44am
Thanks folks. I finally did get it to work. Using the Export option in Create New Video, I selected 720x480 for SD aspect ratio and left everything else at default. Seems to work just fine on my std def DVD player. I only have two follow-on questions:

1. When using the Text function (I put up a short two-second text piece describing what this video was about) - it seemed to shrink the the video clip a little bit??? The aspect ratio was correct, but it was almost as if the video had to be displayed slightly smaller to accommodate overlaying text? The next clip that I merged to the end showed up correctly after the transition fade, so it seemed only to affect the clip that I created the text on.

2. Can multiple merges be combined into one operation? For example, I had 3 clips that I wanted to merge together. Can I merge File001.mov, File002.mov and File003.mov in the same merge operation? Or do I need to merge File001.mov and File002.mov first, export it, then take Export001.mp4 and merge it with File003.mov?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 2:59pm
Quote 1. When using the Text function (I put up a short two-second text piece describing what this video was about) - it seemed to shrink the the video clip a little bit??? The aspect ratio was correct, but it was almost as if the video had to be displayed slightly smaller to accommodate overlaying text? The next clip that I merged to the end showed up correctly after the transition fade, so it seemed only to affect the clip that I created the text on.

I'd really have to try this, but on the surface it sounds like a bug, and ShowBiz's text overlay would not stretch the video in any way due to text. (Note in some cases video does get stretched/cropped/resized to fit the desired output format's limitations, but that is generally not dependent on the text. I'd report this to customer service through the normal channels if you can consistantly recreate it.

Quote 2. Can multiple merges be combined into one operation? For example, I had 3 clips that I wanted to merge together. Can I merge File001.mov, File002.mov and File003.mov in the same merge operation? Or do I need to merge File001.mov and File002.mov first, export it, then take Export001.mp4 and merge it with File003.mov?

My understanding is that it's very basic A+B functionality and you have to do it multiple times if that's what you're after.

It sounds like you're maybe interested in a more robust editor, and that what our ShowBiz line of products is intended for. We haven't released ShowBiz with HD support at this time though. That's coming in the future.
COULSTOCK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COULSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 7:39am
I've now created 2 lengthy .MOV files using TME - 1 is made up of 17 merged .MOV's and my most recent was 9 .MOV's -in both cases by the time the end of the merged file is viewed , the audio has become mismatched with the video - more so in the case of the larger 'merged' file. In both cases the audio 'leads' the video. -there seems to be some evidence that the merging process causes this phenomena.   The original .MOV's as produced by the camcorder are, when viewed individually' OK- any advice on this one. As I said before I'm using TME Studio MV version 2.0.0.43  -any suggestions - should I invest in the full production version instead of the 'lite' version supplied with the camcorder ???
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 12:20pm
The function is identical in the full and OEM version. Purchasing the full release will not change anything. (It might even "downgrade" certain support as I'm not sure if customized features were built in for that specific release.)

As I mentioned, we've never seen the camera or the files it produces so we can't really say if this is a problem related in general to TME, the files the camera creates, or perhaps quicktime in general (which is used to process .MOV files).

Submit the issue to customer service. They can do some general testing to see if they can recreate it with a random group of files.

Also, can you provide the version number of TME itself, not the Studio module? We track software based on this number rather than the various module version IDs within. (Click on the big TME logo at the top of the launchpad to load the about screen with the version.)

I tried pulling out an AIPTEK delivery today and the one I grabbed doesn't have any sort of "Merge" function in Studio that I can find, and I don't want to playing the game of trying to figure out if it's an old function that's been removed, or a function that wasn't available yet in the one I tried. :)

Edited by ArcSoft_Jason - 21 May 2008 at 3:44pm
COULSTOCK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COULSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 12:22am
The MERGE function is a sub selection to CUTTING ROOM which itself is only available after VIDEO is imported.   Can't identify the top level of the package that was delivered with the camera only the Studio MV version ( see above).  Thanks for getting involved - I'll take your advice and submit the problem to Customer Service .- Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casualclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 8:57am
Thank you folks for the informative replies. Great forum! I'll try putting on some text into sample clips and see if I can recreate the problem consistently.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic