www.arcsoft.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need ArcSoft Technical Support? This Users Forum is provided as a free resource for users to exchange ideas and learn how others are utilizing the software but it is NOT a place where you can get ArcSoft technical support. If you have ArcSoft products questions, you can read the general FAQ here or send your question to us through Customer Services.

Layering In PhotoStudio 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
watercolour1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watercolour1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Layering In PhotoStudio 6
    Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 3:50pm
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to layer.   Could someone please explain it to me?????
Thanks,
watercolour1
ArcSoft_Jason View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:22am
Open a new image, or a flat (JPEG, etc) picture if you prefer.

Make sure you see the Layer tab in the toolbar that's docked to the right side by default along with Navigation and Histogram. If it's not, make sure it's checked in the View menu. Also, make sure you can see the layer in the right toolbar by clicking the arrow icon next to the word Layers to toggle the panel open/closed.

Draw something on the background layer if it's blank. (If you opened a picture, there's no need.)

Select the Layer menu and select New. On the right Layers panel, you'll notice a new Layer-1 has appeared.

Make sure Layer-1 is selected (highlighted in blue) and now draw something on the new layer.

Note that you can use the eye icon on the Layers panel to turn that layer on and off without affecting any other layer, or use the opacity slider to affect it.

That's the basics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watercolour1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:55am
Jason thank you so much for your help.   I will try this out in a little while and see how it goes.   Can you when layering say separate a flower from it's baclground and treat the flower differently than you do the background?
Also, don't know if you can answer this but when I was first working with this product (I got it when I purchased my Canon Printer), I was receiving messages while working with it that there were free downloads for it and would I like them right now.   Being right in the middle of something I said no, thinking they would come back and ask again (and again) if I wanted it.  Well, they quit asking.    Do you have any idea what it was?
Thanks Jason for all of you help.
watercolor 1

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:36pm
That kind of thing can be done. But it is a LOT of manual labor.

There's no automatic method. The finished stuff people see on TV or something is either fiction (like when the tech-nerds zoom in on grainy video to make out the suspect's face) or something a professional spent a lot of time doing and they only show the end result.

So with that warning, the basic idea is you copy/paste the picture onto a new layer. Then you use various methods to erase the background. In some cases you'll also completely replace the original background. (So you might create a later with the nice flower seperate from an ugly brown background, and then put a really nice green grass background in its place that never had a flower.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watercolour1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 12:52pm
Jason the reason I want to separate the flower from the background is because when I use the tools to enhance highlights, shadows and whatever the middle one is called, it does not take the background into account, just the flower.   And when I did what you said, with the layers, I still could not get the new layer to take on anything.   What am I doing wrong and can I do what I mentioned above?
Thanks again,
Linda
DarthBurger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarthBurger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:31am
Hello,
This might work?

Load your pretty picture of a flower on a background.

Use the magic wand or freehand tool to outline the flower.

From the edit menu select CUT or COPY then PASTE.

This should create a new layer with just the blooming flower.

You should now have a seperate 'background' layer and flower layer.

Select the flower layer and edit as you wish.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcSoft_Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 11:27am
In addition to what DarthBurger said above, you don't actually need to cut out the selection and paste it into a new layer.

You can just select a particular area as he describes (a flower in the example), then adjust the color on that part of the image only by using the various adjustment tools.

In the image below you can see an example of how I used the selection tools, mainly the magic wand, to select half the pancake on bunny's head, and then used the color adjustment just on that part of the image without affecting anything else.

Edited by ArcSoft_Jason - 08 Sep 2011 at 11:31am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watercolour1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 7:01pm
I just want to thank you all for your help!
Linda Clap
shifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 7:12pm
Hi Linda,
Just a tip for you when you are working with layers. Save your layers as a Photo Studio file (psf) first and DONT COMBINE ALL the layers. Then save it as a "jpeg" file and give it a different name. As I found out the hard way, when all the layers are combined, you cannot make any adjustments later if you wish to, you have to start all over again, as I found out.

Cheers, Graham  Smile
elvaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 12:17am
Unfortunately I am also not very familiar with the layering in PhotoStudio 6. At least I am trying hard but I never get the result I actually want.  Tongue Hopefully this thread will help me. I often get serenata flowers home delivery in the uk and I always take pictures of the flowers and now I have many different pictures and want to make different layers. Hopefully I can now figure out how to do this.

Edited by elvaul - 04 Jun 2012 at 10:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic